Schubert: Symphonies Nos. 7 & 8 Wiener Symphoniker & Philippe Jordan
- Franz Schubert (1797–1828): Symphony No. 8 in C major D 944 'The Great'
- 1I. Andante - Allegro ma non troppo15:59
- 2II. Andante con moto13:57
- 3III. Scherzo: Allegro vivace12:52
- 4IV. Allegro vivace12:02
- Symphony No. 7 in b minor D 759 'Unfinished'
- 5I. Allegro moderato11:20
- 6II. Andante con moto10:47
Info for Schubert: Symphonies Nos. 7 & 8
To conclude Philippe Jordan’s first season as Music Director of the Wiener Symphoniker, this August the Orchestra’s eponymous label is releasing a new CD of Schubert’s Symphonies No. 7 ("Unfinished") and No. 8 ("The Great" in C Major), which were recorded in the Wiener Musikverein. Schubert was also a central focus of Jordan’s first season at the Wiener Symphoniker, in which a Schubert cycle brought all the symphonies by this, the most Viennese of composers, to the stage.
In addition, Schubert’s "Unfinished" was featured in Jordan’s international introductory tour in 2014: "The orchestra was superbly deployed, well prepared, on splendid performing form. The conductor was precise, confident, spirited and occasionally hands-on." (Der Standard)
“Jordan steers the music along with a lightly sprung tread.” (Financial Times, UK)
Philippe Jordan, conductor
No biography found.